Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My family don't agree with my gender identity. How can I deal with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My family don't agree with my gender identity. How can I deal with that?

My family doesn't agree with my gender identity. They just don't understandd why I want to live as a woman although I was born as a man. I've been fighting with them for the last couple of years, but there has been no luck. I live away from them and my dad has never spoken to me since the day I moved out and started living this way. Only one brother out of three talks to me. My mum calls and checks on me, but I guess she's kinda mad at me too. I don't know how to fix this, because I can't change the way I am and they don't seem to be changing the way they think too. Has anyone on Manplay faced similar problems?

I was kicked out of my family for the same reason. I don't think there are solutions for certain people when it comes to things like that. I've just given up on them completely.

Comment

I got my dad to come to counselling and it worked for us to some extent. We were able to express our feelings in front of each other without fighting or getting into heated arguments which helped. I think my dad was able to understand me better. I think that kinda therapy can do a lot of good in situations like this. So give it a go. Getting your parents or family to attend sessions like that will be the challenge. It was very hard for me to get my dad to come.

Comment

@Sheldon-30 that sounds like something that I can try. If my mum can get my dad to come somehow, I think it will at least ease things between us. I will PM you since I need to find more details

Comment

Sheldon's suggestion is right, but it might be better if you start with your mum, since she's still talking to you. Once your mum understands where you're coming from, then she can help as well when it comes to your dad

Comment

Yup. I think going to counselling helps. They just have to be open about it.

Comment

People are a lot more open minded nowadays but there's still a lot of stigma with lgbt people. Maybe because your parents are religious or grew up in a very strict and traditional background and raised you that way. It's awful what you're going through, hopefully someday they'll come around

Comment

I think giving them some time would be best for now, you cant convince them right away that it's who you are. It's a tough situation to be in. just stay strong and good luck

Comment

Hey i totally get what you mean. give them some time to process this because they're probably in shock. State the facts and tell them that there is more to you than your sexuality

Comment

Working...
                  X