The Indian language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Indian language

I recently went to India and I noticed there elder sisters are called `didi` `apa` `baji` and bothers are called `bhai` like any name with bhai added on to it, do we have any such words for our elder siblings? I`m looking for a nickname for my elder sister and I just don`t know, those words there sound so good which got me wondering am I missing out on some basic English?

I'm an Indian, and we say that out of respect - like in English Sir and Madam is used for giving respect, in India we say 'bhai' as in brother and 'didi, baji or apa' as in sister. Hope it explains you a little about our culture.

Comment

I don't know the words you are saying but you can make up some funny nicks taking help from her personality or anything she loves the most, or you can just use these if you like them so much.

Comment

You can use Google for finding the nicks. Just saying!

Comment

You can modify her real name like if its Kelly then Kel or you can use initials her names initials like K.J.

Comment

That is so sweet finding unique nicks for your sister, I call mine peaches it just suits her so well, her personality and nature is just so peachy haha.

Comment

No you are not missing out on any English that Hindi for sister and brother. They call everyone women sister and every man brother, which is weird, how can someone make every random stranger a brother and a sister but I think in a way that's sweet too.

Comment

Dude that's so weird, what does that actually mean?

Comment

Hahaha I don't know why but it sounds really funny!

Comment

Yes in India we call that to our elder sisters - we also modify their names and make nicks out of them.

Comment

lol in Malay they use the word Kakak for sister Hahahaahaahaha it always cracks me up whenever I say the word! Lol it's just really funny, for fun sake you can call your sister kakak! Haha.

Comment

You can use bookworm, if she's a reader use that as a nickname for her. If she's hyperactive kind of a person you can use fire cracker as a nick for her.Also, I read it somewhere the hermanita - in Spanish they use the word Hermana for sisters so you can make this a nick too just modify it a bit. Hermanay would sound good too or hermani. Hope you find it interesting

Comment

How can we help, we don't know what kind of a person she is, nicks just come easy to a brother I guess, never had to give so much thought to it. I call my sister Betty its nick from her name. It just comes easy try out some nicks you'll find out which suits best on her.

Comment

It is really cute that you are giving it so much thought, It shows your sister might be a bit unique cause I'm sure you would be using something as a nick for her and it might not be suiting her. Try looking up some nicks online or maybe in movies at times they use some good names, you can look for them too. Hope you find a good nick for her!

Comment

Working...
                            X